Since beginning this podcast, Ryan has talked to composers, directors, singers, tour managers, authors, and teachers from around the country and the world. But one significant part of our audience has remained a mystery to him until now: parents. Today Ryan talks with Chris and Sarah Jarvis, who both teach at the same high school, and who are the parents of 3 year old Liam. They acknowledge the extra challenges that teaching parents face. The struggle is real, especially when your toddler wants to play with the iPad you are currently directing from.
Highlight to Tweet: “‘Can I play with your iPad? No, son, I’m directing from it.’” – Chris Jarvis
- Making it work, when both parents are working in the arts, takes some extra planning and effort.
- Family comes first.
- There are lots of school obligations: concerts, competitions, grades, shows, but you can’t let that overrun your parenting obligations. Block off time just for family, and protect it.
- Tag team when necessary; track and manage schedules to minimize conflicts.
- Use those great volunteers who want to help entertain your child while you are in rehearsal.
- Recognize each other’s need for adult conversation, or the need for no conversation.
Chris Jarvis was born in Abilene, Texas, but moved to New Mexico when he was 5 years old. He graduated from high school there, and then rushed back to Texas, where he graduated from Lubbock Christian University with a Bachelor of Arts in Music Education.
Sarah Jarvis was born and raised in Brownfield, Texas, and she lived there until she also attended Lubbock Christian University, where she earned her Bachelor of Arts in Theatre, and stalked Chris until he married her.
They have been married for 6 years, and work as full time parents to Liam Jarvis. As a side gig, they also both teach at Wichita Falls High School in Wichita Falls, Texas, where Chris is the Choir Director and Sarah is the Theatre Director. They also perform regularly together in community theatre productions.
- Wichita Falls High School
- Choir Nation group on Facebook – Going to TMEA? Meet up with other Choir Ninjas! Join the Choir Nation Facebook group for time and location.
- Patreon – Support the podcast!
Sight Reading Factory (Use promo code “NINJA” at checkout for 10 free student accounts!)
My Music Folders (Use promo code “NINJA” at checkout for “last column” or best pricing – usually reserved for bulk purchases only!)