So they pronounce their “t’s,” but not their “r’s.” What other differences are there between American choirs and our English friends? Victoria Hopkins, one of the creators and hosts of the Total Choir Resources Podcast chats with Ryan about the point of rehearsals, “note bashing,” workplace choirs, and first aid kits. It truly is inspiring to hear about the the growth of community choirs in the UK. Plus, Victoria has a special gift just for Choir Ninja listeners, so make sure you check out this week’s show notes!
Highlight to Tweet: “Rehearsal is for the leader to get the choir from point A to point B in a way that’s engaging and improves the performance of the music.” – Victoria Hopkins
- Total Choir Resources has been around for 6 years. It was created out of frustration for lack of resources for the day to day managing of their choirs by Victoria and her friend Christine Mulgrew. It started as a blog, then developed a podcast about 5 years ago. It is geared to those in leadership positions in choirs, but who have little or no formal training.
- What is the point of rehearsal?
- The point of rehearsal is for the leader to get the choir from point A to point B in a way that’s engaging and useful, and improves the performance of the music.
- Also, to get to performance at the right time, neither under-rehearsed nor over-rehearsed.
- Everyone needs to go into rehearsal with a plan.
- “Note Bashing” – the early stages of rehearsal.
- Recorded rehearsal tracks are available for everything. It provides extra help for those who need it.
- Don’t let a section sit doing nothing for very long. Have everyone sing on whatever part your are working. (It reinforces sight-singing, and keeps people engaged. Can’t chat while singing.)
- Join the right community choir. Not every choir is the right fit for every singer.
- Workplace choirs are becoming more popular in England.
- The Choir Rehearsal First Aid Kit. Get rehearsals back on track!
Victoria Hopkins is a co-founder of Total Choir Resources, an online home for new and developing choir leaders, offering inspirational ebooks, online courses and choral music to a worldwide audience. Victoria leads a chamber choir in her home village on the south coast of England.
- The Choir Rehearsal First Aid Kit
- Total Choir Resources
- Choir Nation group on Facebook – Going to TMEA? Meet up with other Choir Ninjas! Join the Choir Nation Facebook group for time and location.
- Patreon – Support the podcast!
Sight Reading Factory (Use promo code “NINJA” at checkout for 10 free student accounts!)
My Music Folders (Use promo code “NINJA” at checkout for “last column” or best pricing – usually reserved for bulk purchases only!)