Sean Baugh skillfully leads the Turtle Creek Chorale in performances of both artistry and activism. Sean talks about how his ensemble of largely untrained singers is able to give powerful performances, leaning heavily on the passion of the musicians. We are all passionate about something, making us all activists, and music is our agent of change.
Highlight to Tweet: “You can do a lot on a little bit of money if you love what you’re doing.” – Sean Baugh
- Sean Baugh rose to his position as Artistic Director of Turtle Creek Chorale through a mixture of fortuitous timing, being willing to pivot when opportunity presented itself, and sharing his ambition with others.
- Turtle Creek Chorale is one of the oldest gay men’s choruses, although it’s membership is comprised of different orientations.
- Few of the members of TCC are professional musicians, and many have no formal choral training. Sean estimates about half do not read music.
- TCC takes seriously its mission to lift up the disenfranchised, standing for equality and dignity for all people.
- Music is the tool that TCC uses to address social issues.
- You can’t predict who will be affected by your performance, or how it will impact them.
Now in his fourth season, Sean Mikel Baugh is the Artistic Director of the Turtle Creek Chorale. Originally from Tulsa, Oklahoma, Sean studied music at Oklahoma Baptist University and the University of Central Oklahoma and was awarded a Master of Music in Conducting degree from the Meadows School of the Arts at Southern Methodist University where he was named outstanding graduate conductor. At the Meadows School, Sean served as assistant conductor of the world-renowned Meadows Wind Ensemble. He has studied with Nancy Hill Cobb, Jack Delaney, Paul Phillips and many others.
Sean has been called “expressive and incredibly dynamic, a consummate musician with a side of showman. He exhilarates audience members and singers alike.” He is regularly praised for his innovative programming and expressive technique. His choirs have enjoyed positive reviews and have been lauded for their musicality and emotional performances. An active advocate for male choral music, Sean regularly commissions new works from established composers.
Sean also serves as Associate Director of Music and Worship for Dallas-based Cathedral of Hope United Church of Christ where he leads the choir and orchestra for Sunday worship services. Cathedral of Hope is the world’s largest congregation with a primary outreach to the LGBT community.
Sean is in demand nation-wide as speaker, guest-conductor and clinician. He has served on the music faculty of the University of Dallas and is an active member of the American Choral Directors Association, Gay & Lesbian Association of Choruses, Texas Choral Directors Association and Chorus America.
- Turtle Creek Chorale
- GALA Choruses
- Choir Nation group on Facebook
- Email Patreon – Support the podcast!
Sponsored by: Sight Reading Factory (Use promo code “NINJA” at checkout for 10 free student accounts!)
My Music Folders (Use promo code “NINJA” at checkout for “last column” or best pricing – usually reserved for bulk purchases only!)