Ryan looks back on lessons learned this past year as a choir teacher in a new school/state/culture. This is a must listen for anyone…novice or veteran…who is entering a new classroom (or any choir podium). You might want to make sure you listen to the whole thing. Allllll the way to the end.
Highlight to Tweet: “Wait…can we just end it like that…awkward silence…and then just go to your tag? Could we do that?” – Stevie Berryman
- Keep your ambition in check. (Don’t make changes too soon.)
- Trust takes time.
- Talk less, sing more.
- Concerts are your time to establish yourself in the community.
- Choose your battles.
- New school (state) = New culture
- Create non-classroom bonding experiences.
- Embrace your predecessor.
- Don’t compare your new students to your former students.
- Don’t compare yourself to the previous director.
Sponsored by: Sight Reading Factory (Use promo code “NINJA” at checkout for 10 free student accounts!)
My Music Folders (Use promo code “NINJA” at checkout for “last column” or best pricing – usually reserved for bulk purchases only!)